For the last few years at Gen Con, we’ve run a unique tournament: The Red Dragon Inn Doppelganger Tournament! In this tournament, players are first randomly assigned to 2-4 player games in which each player plays the same character (i.e. 2-4 Zots, 2-4 Fionas, etc.). The last standing Gog or Serena at their table is declared the “real” character, and proceed to the semifinal matches.
This year we had the largest turnout we’ve ever had for the Doppelganger tourney: 38 players! The first-round winners were:
- Gog: Bobbie Almy from Michigan
- Fleck: Joe Hopper from Chicago, IL
- Zot: David Kowalski from Grand Rapids, MI
- Dimli: Krista Borja from Indianapolis, IN
- Fiona: Carrie McMichael from Greenfield, IN
- Pooky: Charlie Schaefer from Greenfield, IN
- Deirdre: Brandon Stepro from Corydon, IN
- Gerki: Garrett Lindgren from Florida
- Wizgille: Andria Mahl from Columbus, IN
- Kaylin: Dusty Easley from Kingsford Heights, IN
- Eve: Klaudia Stamatakis from Chicago, IL
- Erin: Sarah Craft from Indianapolis, IN
- Serena: Matthew Forsyth from Chicago, IL
The final table consisted of Deirdre, Kaylin, Wizgille, Pooky, Serena, and Gog. And in case there’s anyone out there who still thinks that there’s no skill involved in RDI, check this out. Final table player Matthew Forsyth (playing Serena) was last year’s champion! This guy knows how to play!
The final standings were:
Dusty Easley (Kaylin) and Charlie Schaefer (Pooky) play heads-up for the title.
A big thank-you to everyone who participated, and congratulations to our champion, Charlie Schaefer!